Friday 6 February 2015

Potteresque Valentine

At the January meeting of my Embroiderers Guild we were asked to bring along our oldest WIP. To my surprise my probably 15-year old cross stitch project was a mere baby compared to some of the other projects there :) 40 years old was the oldest project on show, although it is probably as well that a cumulative total wasn't taken as I might not have been feeling so smug then!

Whilst I didn't make much progress on the cross-stitch I did get thinking about using up some of the orphan blocks and random pieces of stitching that have been clogging up my WIP basket for a while.

I tested this Harry Potter themed embroidery pattern for Rebecca at Sew Festive Handmade a long time ago.

 At the time I had no idea what to do with the finished embroidery so it was put bag in the plastic bag and joined the numerous other WIP's in the sewing cupboard.

With Valentine's Day on the horizon though, it seemed like the ideal time to liberate this from the dark confines of the cupboard.

The addition of 2.5" strips of suitably shimmery, wintry tree fabric later and I was ready to tackle some FMQ'ing on my ritzy Bernina with the help of this nifty piece of kit.



 Naturally, meandering hearts were the order of the day for quilting :)

I was impressed by the difference that the Stitch Regulator made to my FMQ'ing, the stitching is much more regular than I have ever achieved before, so I am definitely a convert.


And here is the final embroidered and quilted cushion! Another WIP liberated :)

If you fancy trying your hand at a Potteresque Valentine too, Rebecca has several other Harry Potter themed embroideries in her  Craftsy Pattern Store



Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts

22 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwww it's so sweet! I haven't read any of the Harry Potter series so I don't get the deer connection, but it looks like an adorable vintagey deer to me - the beads and quilting are the perfect additions for a lovely finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fmq stitching is amazing. Such a sweet cushion too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great FMQ hearts, I am in awe! I used to use my Bernina Stitch Regulator all the time but I then did a whole bunch of stitching without realising that I hadn't actually plugged it in. My (basic meander!) stitching still looked fine but I think this was down to all those years of practice whilst using it. I also don't know how I didn't realise it wasn't plugged in as I find mine makes a terrible racket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cushion looks great, and another WIP to cross off the list - brilliant. Oh for a stitch regulator gadget but my trusty Bernina is too old and they don't make one for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really lovely! Intrigued by your stitch regulator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm envious of the stitch regulator. The quilting looks great. I love the simplicity of the blue deer on white background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go on turning a UFO into a Finish. It makes a lovely little pillow. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty -- I love the beading for the extra touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you are working your way through them.

    If you are looking for a guilt-free, effortless way to get rid of some more WIPs, I just read that Kat from 'Kat and Cat Quilts' is looking for donations of quilts, blocks, UFOs or tops towards a cause called 'Covered in Love'. Kat is a nurse and she makes quilts for 'Covered in Love'. These quilts are given to terminally ill people who will die in hospital, to offer them what little comfort they can and to make their hospital room a little brighter. The quilts are then taken home by the family. Here is the blog post, if you are interested -
    http://katandcatquilts.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/covered-in-love-finish.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had my Bernina for a while now and have never thought to look inside that orange tin. Must, must remember to use it next time I attempt FMQ. Your cushion is lovely, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! It's a great use for a cute little embroidery piece. And wonderful to have another finish to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful job! I have one of those fancy Bernina things too and I love it! The swirls are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great cushion - and your FMQ is looking amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The embroidery and quilting are beautiful! Isn't it nice to check one more thing off the WIP/UFO list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hurray for one less thing in the pile :) Whoop -Whoop!! for you. I like the meandering hearts.
    Janita

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just popped back to say that you should enter this pillow in Nancy Zieman's Pillow Challenge 2015. http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewing-2/2015-pillow-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice, the seed beads add a nice wee extra sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this when you first posted it... and I love it seeing it again today. Thanks so much for linking up to my new Stitchery Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The stitching is darling and the quilting sends it over the top. What a beautiful pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ahhhh that is our word..ALWAYS...very lovely sittching

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute nod to that series. Love Harry Potter, and what a cute pillow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...