Wednesday 14 March 2012

New Blocks, Loved Fabrics and WIP's

Being back in the UK last week, the opportunity to have fabric delivered within a day was too good to miss. Having signed up for the New York Beauty QAL I have been watching with envy all the fabulous fabric selections being posted in the QAL Flickr Group, so I knew my opportunity to join in had come with my trip back. Unlike my quilt from the Sew Happy QAL, which was always destined to be a present for my son and daughter-in-law, the NY Beauty quilt, if it gets that far!, has no definite destination. In theory, that should have made the fabric selection easier, but it didn't seem to work like that. After browsing loads of websites looking for inspiration I decided to use a fabric I already had, Kona Solid in Hibiscus from Sew Fresh Fabrics as the base fabric. With that in mind I set to browsing with purpose and eventually settled on a FQ bundle of Kaffe Fassett fabrics from Tikki Patchwork and here they are together

I added a note to my order telling them that the fabrics were for a NY Beauty QAL and would be paired with the Kona Solid and I am thrilled to bits with the fabrics they selected. So thrilled in fact, that I am already worrying about messing up such beautiful fabrics with my first attempts at NY Beauty blocks!


On my return to Riga I had another fabric parcel waiting for me, Erin's of Missy Mac Creations Fugly Fabric giveaway had arrived. Isn't in nice to get fabric in the post when you are not expecting it? Erin had offered a very generous 80 charm squares, and I am already mulling over which projects to use them in. Having enjoyed my paper piecing so much recently I bought Carol Doak's 300 Paper Piecing Patterns book whilst at home, so I think that might feature heavily in the projects for the squares, although I also have a couple of bag patterns using charm squares too, so they might get a look-in too.

Didn't Erin package them up nicely?

In amongst all this retail therapy I did manage to get some sewing done too! As well as finishing the Sew Happy QAL, I also finished the third block of In Color Order's HST BOM, compared to the Sew Happy QAL, the gaps between the blocks appearing seem so long, but as I am currently behind with both Katy's FPPFTT and the NY Beauty QAL blocks, perhaps that is just as well. As for the Craftsy BOM, let's just not go there!

So my WIP list is now looking like this


Completed

  • Reindeer Cushion
  • Shades of Green, Fleur Bleu, Checkered Heart and Orange cushions 
  • Orphan Block needle roll 
  • Pieced arc tea towel  
  • Yo-yo maker purse 
  • Padded hangers and tutorial
  • Sew Happy QAL quilt (My March WIP of 12 WIP's in 2012!)
Ongoing
  • 3 blocks of In Color Order HST BOM (up-to-date) 
  • (Almost) Irish Chain quilt now basted 
  • First and second blocks of FPPFTT completed (1 block behind schedule)
  • First border of teatime quilt completed, blocks to be calculated and cut
  • New York Beauty QAL fabric bought (1 block behind schedule)
Waiting
  • Indigo, yellow and violet rainbow cushions
  • Sunflower Quilt 
  • Last block of Sampler quilt - no progress but it is in the UK and I am back in Latvia!
  • Amy Butler bag 
  • Bag Making Bible Fashionista Bag 
  • Dragon Bag
  • Patchwork Block bag
  • Christmas mini quilts
  • Craftsy BOM which I have signed up for but still haven't looked at yet!
 At least there has been some movement on the list, even if the NY Beauty QAL has only moved from waiting to ongoing because I now have the fabric!

Hope you are all making progress too.

Linking up to Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday and Esther's  WOW

8 comments:

  1. Ooh great bright fabrics for the NY Beauty! Can't wait to see how that progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These 3 blocks stood out on the WiP linky...liking them a lot. "Hi Kristy!" (waves from Alstonville to Nambucca via Riga!). Must have been nice to get back to the UK for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely fabrics you've got - I'm suffering fabric envy now:-) Looking forward to seeing the result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone that was globe trotting, that's a pretty impressive list! Enjoy the new fabric :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fabrics, and your blocks are stunning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fabrics and wonderful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much fun fabric! I love charm squares, but it is always so difficult to decide on the *perfect* project for them! The paper piecing book sounds awesome! I am behind on my blocks too. My husband used to be busy with schoolwork in the evening, but he started doing it during the work day. There went all my time! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Theres nothing like getting new fabrics in the post!! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...